How to Support Chefs and Restaurants
Photo Credit: Clavel
by Kerry Flanagan, TasteWise Kids Manager of Community Engagement and Support
Order some Takeout or Delivery, and don’t forget the swag
While it’s great to have the extra time to cook at home, we all need a break from the kitchen sometimes. And while this time isn’t fun, there are some silver linings. Who would have thought some of these ‘best of’ restaurants would ever be available curbside or delivered directly to your door? Put on your pajamas, and don’t give up on date night. Also, some are offering really fun merchandise as an add on to your order. Show your favorite restaurant some love!
- Baltimore takeout/delivery aggregator: https://www.diningatadistance.com/baltimore
- Baltimore City takeout guide
- Howard County restaurants and liquor pickup/delivery options can be found here.
- Harford County restaurant options: Takeout/Delivery
Don’t forget the beverages!
While we are very kid friendly around here, we are also very lucky to have been shown some serious love by many local beverage partners for our annual fundraiser, Farm to Chef Maryland. Check out those partners here – many of them are also offering takeout and delivery options.
Join in Advocacy Work
In response to this crisis, Baltimore Area Restaurant Industry Relief Group was formed on Facebook to galvanize and create a resource for industry workers, operators, and owners to get answers, ask questions, and have a sense of community in this unsettling time. This effort has been expanded by the introduction of The Baltimore Restaurant Relief Fund, a fund specifically devoted to rebuilding the Baltimore restaurant and hospitality industry. Check it out for ways to support the Baltimore Restaurant Industry and donate!
Tip Bartenders remotely in this virtual tip jar for bartenders and servers from Baltimore restaurants: Baltimore Virtual Tip Jar
Help First Responders and Restaurants through the Square Meal COVID19 Response Initiative: Central Baltimore Partnership (CBP) has launched Square Meals to provide healthcare workers caring for our community during the COVID-19 pandemic in Baltimore hospitals with high-quality, healthy dinners, breakfasts, and snacks prepared by some of the most popular restaurants in Central Baltimore. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation on their website, Facebook or Paypal!
Join the national effort to help save local restaurants affected by COVID-19 through legislation: https://www.saverestaurants.com/
Support Restaurants as Grocers
- Pairings Bistro is working with farm partners for a pop up market: The Village Market, open 4-8 pm Mondays, 11 am-8 pm Tuesdays – Saturdays, (Senior Hour: 10 – 11 am, Tuesdays – Saturdays); check out this flyer for products and pricing
- Restaurants in Baltimore selling grocery items, some from local farms: Baltimore restaurants
Buy a Gift Card
If takeout isn’t your thing right now, consider buying a gift card to use when restaurants are open for seated service again – having your dollars now will help them weather the storm, and many restaurants are committing these funds to employee salaries while closed.
- #SaveCharmCityEats: support Baltimore restaurants with unique at-home offers and dining experiences
Share on Social
If the restaurants you follow on Facebook and Instagram are sharing their takeout, delivery, or gift card options, share that information with your social circle to broaden their reach.
Look for the helpers and shine a light
- Foraged is preparing “family meal” for members of the restaurant industry and teachers and first responders in addition to taking curbside and delivery orders.
- Mera Kitchen Collective is cooking meals for community members in need (and raising funds to continue to do so).
- Several local distilleries, including Lyon Distilling, Sagamore Spirit, and Patapsco Distilling Company, are shifting gears to produce hand sanitizer.
This list is just a start and we are sure there are other options for support and other chefs and restaurants out there doing their part to make a difference in this challenging time. We will be updating this list, if you think something should be added, please email email@example.com.