How to Support Chefs and Restaurants
Photo Credit: Clavel
by Kerry Flanagan, TasteWise Kids Manager of Community Engagement and Support
Order some Takeout or Delivery, and don’t forget the swag
While it’s great to have the extra time to cook at home, we all need a break from the kitchen sometimes. And while this time isn’t fun, there are some silver linings. Who would have thought some of these ‘best of’ restaurants would ever be available curbside or delivered directly to your door? Put on your pajamas, and don’t give up on date night. Also, some are offering really fun merchandise as an add on to your order. Show your favorite restaurant some love!
- Baltimore takeout/delivery aggregator: https://www.diningatadistance.com/baltimore
- Howard County restaurants and liquor pickup/delivery options can be found here.
- Harford County restaurant options: Takeout/Delivery
Restaurants as Grocers
- Pairings Bistro is working with farm partners for a pop up market: The Village Market, open 4-8 pm Mondays, 11 am-8 pm Tuesdays – Saturdays, (Senior Hour: 10 – 11 am, Tuesdays – Saturdays); check out this flyer for products and pricing
- Restaurants in Baltimore selling grocery items, some from local farms: Baltimore restaurants
Don’t forget the beverages!
While we are very kid friendly around here, we are also very lucky to have been shown some serious love by many local beverage partners for our annual fundraiser, Farm to Chef Maryland. Check out those partners here – many of them are also offering takeout and delivery options.
Buy a Gift Card
If takeout isn’t your thing right now, consider buying a gift card to use when restaurants are open for seated service again – having your dollars now will help them weather the storm, and many restaurants are committing these funds to employee salaries while closed.
Share on Social
If the restaurants you follow on Facebook and Instagram are sharing their takeout, delivery, or gift card options, share that information with your social circle to broaden their reach.
Join in Advocacy Work
A wide variety of restaurant and other professionals have joined together to support the restaurant industry in a variety of ways, from lobbying to advice, in a Facebook group called Baltimore Area Restaurant Industry Relief Group. If you are a part of the restaurant community and haven’t yet joined the group or if you are an individual who may be able to offer support or advice to members, check it out.
- Tip in this virtual tip jar for bartenders and servers from Baltimore restaurants: Baltimore Virtual Tip Jar
- Donate to the Square Meal COVID19 Response Initiative: Central Baltimore Partnership (CBP) has launched Square Meals to provide healthcare workers caring for our community during the COVID-19 pandemic in Baltimore hospitals with high-quality, healthy dinners, breakfasts, and snacks prepared by some of the most popular restaurants in Central Baltimore. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation on our website, Facebook or Paypal help@centralbaltimore.
org!Meals will be sponsored by donations from individuals, businesses, and philanthropy. Your contribution of:
- $12 provides a meal for 1 emergency or critical care healthcare worker
- $48 provides 4 meals a week for 1 healthcare worker
- $98 provides 4 meals a week for 2 healthcare workers
- $480 provides 4 meals a week for 10 healthcare workers
- $1,200 provides 1 day’s dinner for 100 MedStar Union Memorial healthcare workers*
- $4,800 provides 4 meals a week for 100 MedStar Union Memorial healthcare workers*
Look for the helpers and shine a light
- Foraged has shifted gears from takeout/curbside to preparing “family meal” for members of the restaurant industry and teachers and first responders.
- Mera Kitchen Collective is cooking meals for community members in need (and raising funds to continue to do so).
- Several local distilleries, including Lyon Distilling, Sagamore Spirit, and Patapsco Distilling Company, are shifting gears to produce hand sanitizer.
This list is just a start and we are sure there are other options for support and other chefs and restaurants out there doing their part to make a difference in this challenging time. We will be updating this list, if you think something should be added, please email email@example.com.