#TWKatHome Family Fridays
Resources to get you through Summer!
Have you been enjoying our activities? Are you itching for more ways to dive into activities that center youth and food education? This week we’ve pulled together resources from other organizations in the area to highlight other activities and resources to support you at home.
Open Farmers Markets and Local Produce
- 32 St. Farmers Market (Baltimore City)
- Fell’s Point Farmers Market (Baltimore City)
- Baltimore Farmers Market and Bazaar (Baltimore City)
- Chesapeake Farm to Table Online Market
- Two Boots Farm (Carroll County and Baltimore City)
- Karma Farm (Baltimore County)
- Harford County Farmers Markets
- Howard County Farmers Markets
You can find the list of our farm partners here, as some have availability for pick-up or delivery. Check with these sources to see if anything has changed since this posting.
Live Cooking Demonstrations with Chef Cat
- Chef Cat is a local Baltimore Chef who has been posting live cooking demonstrations. She makes cooking look easy. You can follow along at her next live taping by following her on social media here.
FoodPrints Summer Camp at Home
- Get links to videos, activities and recipes through FoodPrints virtual content!
Summer Challenge with the Enoch Pratt Library
- Pratt Library iniciará el Desafío de Verano 2020 el miércoles 17 de junio con programas divertidos durante todo el día en la página de Facebook de Pratt
- Come join the Pratt Library as we celebrate the 2020 Summer Challenge. Kids, Young Adult, and Adult virtual programming will be live-streamed on the Pratt’s Facebook page throughout the day starting June 17th.
Howard County Library System Online Classes
- HCLS is offering classes online! We want to highlight teacher Elana Dandenau for her classes that focus on the Budget Minded Kitchen. She has been teaching classes with how-to’s on food preservation and home gardens. She announces her classes on her social media here.
Virtual Field Trip-Kids Growing with Grains Field Trip
- A virtual field trip brought to you by University of Maryland Extension. You can sign up here.
- In this fun, engaging, virtual field trip, students will engage in exciting explorations of Nutrition, Agriculture, and the Environment. Your students will engage in lessons around the following topics:
- Grain Science – Students will describe the different parts of grain by dissecting corn kernels and edamame beans. They’ll also learn about all the different uses of corn and go on a corn scavenger hunt!
- Grains and Nutrition – Students will explore the different parts of the grain, why eating whole grains is healthy, how to identify how grain foods, and how to make their own pizza using ingredients found in their house.
- Grains and the Environment – Students will find out why soil is important, what it’s made of, and how our watershed works. They’ll also get to see cool science experiments and explore the scientific method.
- Grains and Animals – Students will learn about chickens, the anatomy of eggs, and how we use chickens and their by-products in our daily lives. They get to have a meet and greet with chickens (and chicks!).
- Each field trip lesson includes a 5 to 15 minute video and accompanying student engagement pages in Google Doc, Word Doc, and PDF format. Lessons are designed to support classroom instruction and meet CCSS. You can pick and choose any of the field trip lessons that you would like to do (not all lessons have to be used) and the lessons can be done in any order.
Do you know of any tips you’d like to share with the TWK community? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!